Richmond, Virginia, Criminal Defense Lawyers
Drunk Driving Defense — Reckless Driving — Speeding — Marijuana Possession
The law firm of Weiland Upton focuses on defending those charged with traffic violations and DUI/DWI. We also routinely handle charges relating to the possession of marijuana and the possession of alcohol by minors. We work to drop charges or reduce the severity of offenses, to keep you out of jail, minimize or eliminate fines, keep your record clean and keep your car insurance rates low. Our practice areas include:
- DUI/DWI/drunk driving defense. We have successfully helped over a thousand people fight and minimize the impact of drunk driving charges, and have developed DUI/DWI defenses used by attorneys throughout Virginia.
- Reckless driving. We have achieved full dismissal or reductions of charges for thousands of individuals accused of reckless driving.
- Speeding. We are experienced in compelling the state to produce evidence regarding automobile speed measuring equipment, and in investigating police error in the defense of your case.
- Driving with a suspended license/driving without a license. These charges can lead to jail time, fines and an increased duration in the suspension of your driving privileges. Our firm has developed many defenses to reduce or eliminate the severity of these offenses.
- Possession of marijuana. We are experienced and skilled in defending against substance possession charges, and can also work with the courts to mitigate your penalties in the case of a conviction. We have successfully argued that compliance with alcohol or substance classes or performing community service should result in dismissal of charges.
- Habitual offender license restoration. While Virginia no longer places individuals under the status of “habitual offender,” thousands of in- and out-of-state drivers remain in this classification. We have helped many individuals successfully work to have their habitual offender status removed.
- Hit and run/eluding. The severity and level of hit and run and eluding charges often depend on the valuation of damaged property or whether the driving endangered a person. The charges will be significantly greater if someone was injured. We can work toward the dismissal or reduction of your charges.
- Moving violations/points. Virginia often notifies the authorities in other states of traffic violations occurring within its borders. In many instances we can fight your charges and work to clear your record without the need for you to return to Virginia.
- Commercial drivers. We can work to help drivers of tractor-trailers, 18-wheelers, semi trucks and big rigs protect their livelihood by fighting against conviction and commercial driver’s license suspensions.
- Underage Possession of Alcohol. In Virginia it’s illegal for a person under the age of twenty-one years old to purchase, possess, or consume any alcoholic beverage like liquor, wine, and beer. Our attorneys have years of experience defending minors and young adults charged with underage possession of alcohol.
If you face driving charges or charges related to marijuana possession or underage alcohol possession, contact Weiland Upton. We offer free initial consultations, accept credit cards, and are conveniently located off I-95 and I-295 in the Richmond area. Call us at 804.355.8037 or contact us online.
Some Recent Reviews:
5.0 star rating
Samantha Upton is amazing!
Recently my son got into some trouble with speeding tickets, possession of marijuana, and probation violation. I hired Samantha Upton for legal counsel and could not have been happier with the outcome. Not only was she very prepared she also gave great advise on how my son could help himself mitigate the charges. She persuaded my son to seek professional help dealing with his drug use which has made a positive impact in his life. He is now in a good space and has been drug free close to a year. A true professional that provides a personable touch to her job.
5.0 star rating
I received a reckless driving ticket for going 20+ MPH over the speed limit on I-95 due to the fact it was a construction zone and speed limit was reduced from 70 to 55 mph. I checked around and not only heard great things about Mr. Weiland, but noticed he had a very high success rate in court cases, so I contacted him immediately. He took my call and was very professional and walked me through everything I needed to do to be prepared for my court date. Due to Mr. Weiland’s close relationship with the court and excellent understanding of the law, my charge was dismissed!!! I am extremely satisfied with his professionalism, friendliness, and of course my results! I would definitely recommend Mr. Weiland!