Speed of 80 MPH on Virginia Highways Means a Reckless Driving Ticket
In Virginia part of the state law legal code 46.2-862 Exceeding speed limit is a Reckless Driving Offense:
A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
The Commonwealth of Virginia has many Highways, Interstates, and Country Roads. Local, State and County law enforcement officers routinely target and set up speed traps for drivers that commute or travel on these statewide roads.
Many of the major highways in Virginia, Interstate I-95, I-85, I-64, I-81 the top posted speed limit is 70 MPH, but according to the state law code, just 11 miles above that stop posted speed can result in a Reckless Driving Ticket and Conviction
A Virginia Reckless Driving Ticket and even a normal speeding ticket can result in some serious issues with court penalties and fines such as:
- Monetary and financial fines for the offense including court costs.
- Higher auto insurance monthly premiums
- Suspension or loss of driving privileges depending upon your conviction or prior driving record.
- Jail sentence for serious driving issues.
Under the Commonwealth of Virginia laws the maximum penalty for a Reckless Driving conviction the penalties may include:
(1) you may receive up to 1 year in jail
(2) you may receive up to 6 months suspension of your driver’s license / privileges
(3) you may receive a total of 6 points on a Virginia driver’s license
(4) you may receive up to a $2,500.00 fine.
If you have been issued a traffic violation summons you should contact a lawyer who is experienced in these issues. The lawyers of The Weiland Firm, PLC LLC handle cases for Reckless Driving and Speeding Offenses in the follow jurisdictions:
Richmond, Brunswick, Emporia. King George, Petersburg, Dinwiddie County, Goochland County, Henrico County, Hanover County, Chesterfield County, Prince George County, New Kent County, Spotsylvania County, Hopewell, Sussex County, Caroline County, Amelia County, Colonial Heights, Powhatan County and Stafford County.
Give us a call to review your case. 804-355-8037