New Kent County Traffic Attorneys
Weiland Upton is a Virginia law firm which focuses on the defense of individuals charged with traffic offenses. Our firm concentrates in all areas of traffic defense in New Kent County, VA including driving under the influence of alcohol, reckless driving, speeding, driving on a suspended license, driving without a license, and other Virginia traffic offenses. The attorneys in our office have a good working relationship with and understand the policies of the New Kent County District Court Judges, Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office and police officers. Weiland Upton has been successful in representing clients in traffic offenses in New Kent County for years.
If you were arrested or given a summons, please call one of our experienced lawyers at (804) 355-8037.
Individuals should carefully evaluate the qualifications of a traffic lawyer before selecting a firm to represent them in a traffic offense. Weiland Upton has an extensive long term relationship representing clients in New Kent County and throughout Virginia. Make sure the attorney you hire is familiar with traffic offense laws and knows how to appropriately present your case in court. By way of example, did you know:
- Reckless Driving by Speed: Reckless driving by speed is a class one misdemeanor in Virginia and is defined as 20 or more miles over the speed limit, or any speed over 80 miles per hour. Reckless driving carries 6 demerit points in Virginia and is also punishable by a possible fine (up to $2,500), suspension of your Virginia Driver’s license or privilege and the imposition of jail. Like a DUI, the Commonwealth of Virginia has the burden of proof to establish guilt. Weiland Upton may examine the use of a police officer’s radar to determine if the officer has complied with statutory requirements. Our law firm is dedicated to helping you avoid a reckless driving criminal conviction, increased insurance premiums, license suspension, a jail sentence and the accumulation of excessive demerit points.
- Reckless Driving – Accident: This charge involves failure to maintain control as a result of an accident. Our reckless driving lawyers are ready to pinpoint the most effective legal defense available to you, so we can help you avoid a criminal conviction, loss of your driving privileges, increased insurance premiums, and the accumulation of excessive demerit points. In Virginia, the mere occurrence of an accident does not mean the driver is guilty of reckless driving. Once again, the Commonwealth of Virginia has the burden of proof to establish the offense of reckless driving. Our New Kent County lawyers have won numerous reckless driving cases based upon the Commonwealth’s inability to establish the elements of the offense.
- Speeding: Our attorneys are able to provide you with clear-cut advice on the implications of a speeding offense. As with reckless driving by speed, a speeding offense must be proved by the Commonwealth of Virginia. Your Weiland Upton speeding attorney will review your case to identify possible defenses. Additionally, in certain speeding cases, your attorney may be able to eliminate the speeding offense upon completion of a court-approved defensive driving class. Weiland Upton will identify the best way to help you avoid the accumulation of excessive demerit points and increased insurance premiums.
- Driving on Suspended or Revoked License: Driving on a suspended or revoked license can carry stiff penalties, if you are convicted. We are ready to help you identify the reason for your license suspension and guide you through the process of getting your license reinstated.
- DUI: A first offense DUI is a class one misdemeanor which carries certain statutory mandatory punishments. Depending upon the level of alcohol in the blood system, a DUI may carry mandatory jail time. Conviction of a first offense DUI also calls for a mandatory suspension of your Virginia driver’s license or privilege although you may be eligible for a restricted license. Often, the DUI lawyers at Weiland Upton are able to successfully challenge the case based upon an improper stop by the police, an invalid arrest or a problem with the alcohol test. The discovery of such problems may result in a not guilty finding or reduction to a lesser offense.
Experienced in New Kent County and throughout Virginia
New Kent County officers and state troopers regularly patrol the roads of New Kent County, Quinton, Providence Forge, Lanexa and surrounding areas, including Interstate 64. The New Kent traffic lawyers at Weiland Upton are familiar with these areas and the respective speed zones in these areas. Certain defenses are dependent upon the location of the alleged offense. Examples of such defenses would include the location, construction and authorization for traffic control signs and devices.
Our attorneys know how to defend traffic offenses and traffic-related crimes in New Kent County. We know these offenses are heard in New Kent County every Tuesday and Wednesday. Our attorneys are very familiar with how the judge who presides on Tuesday and the judge who presides on Wednesday handle traffic and traffic-relates crimes in their respective courts. Review a sample of our previous case results.
Call (804) 355-8037 to speak with one of our knowledgeable New Kent traffic attorneys regarding your charges. We will provide you with a clear-cut legal analysis of your case and a fee quote for handling your case.