Hanover VA Reckless Driving Attorneys and DUI Lawyers
The traffic lawyers at Weiland Upton are committed to defending people charged with violating Virginia’s various traffic laws in Hanover County in VA. Our lawyers have been representing clients charged with DUI, reckless driving, and speeding for the past fifteen years. And our lawyers have very good, professional relationships with the Hanover County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office (prosecutor’s office), police officers, deputies, and state troopers.
Choosing a traffic ticket lawyer who has a great deal of knowledge about the jurisdiction is vitally important to achieving the best possible result in your traffic case. This is particularly true in a unique jurisdiction like Hanover County, Virginia, with two heavily traveled interstates (I-295 and I-95) and several high-volume highway, like, Highway 301.
In Hanover County, our attorneys defend clients charged with:
- Reckless Driving – Accident: Often those people who have a single-vehicle or multiple-vehicle accident are charged with reckless driving. Like reckless driving by speed, a charge of reckless driving resulting from an accident is a crime. Our attorneys are extremely knowledgeable of legal defenses for reckless driving. We are very successful at getting reckless driving charges dismissed or reduced to traffic infractions that do not carry the serious consequences of a reckless driving conviction.
- Driving under the Influence of Alcohol or Drugs: Under Virginia Law, a DUI carries serious consequences. A first-offense DUI carries a high fine, a potential jail sentence, a 1-year driver’s license suspension, and the successful completion of an alcohol education program called the Virginia Alcohol Safety Action Program (VASAP). A first-offense DUI with a Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) of .15 but less than .21 carries a mandatory minimum of 5 days in jail and an ignition interlock for at least 6 months, in addition to the penalties already described above. Likewise, if your BAC is greater than .21, there is a mandatory minimum jail sentence of 10 days and an ignition interlock requirement. Individuals charged with a second DUI that has occurred within ten years of the previous DUI will incur a higher mandatory minimum jail sentence, and a third DUI is a felony in Virginia. Given our law firm’s commitment to primarily focusing our practice in the areas of DUI and traffic offenses, we may be able to find a legal problem with the case that results in a not guilty verdict (dismissal) or reach a resolution that results in a reduced charge; saving you from some of the punishments and requirements of a DUI conviction.
- Reckless Driving by Speed: Under Virginia Law, a person driving twenty miles per hour or more than the posted speed limit, or over 80mph, can be charged and convicted of reckless driving by speed. It is important to realize it is not necessary for the Officer to prove you were driving in a reckless manner (i.e., weaving in and out of traffic). Speed and speed alone, is sufficient to be found guilty. Reckless driving by speed also carries significant consequences. First, reckless driving by speed is a crime and not a basic speeding ticket. Which means, if you are convicted of reckless driving by speed as a result of traveling 81mph in a 70mph zone, it is a Class 1 Misdemeanor. In addition, depending on the speed, reckless driving by speed may carry a hefty fine, a jail sentence, and suspension of your driver’s license or privilege to drive. Finally, it carries the highest number of negative demerit points that can be assessed by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. Our reckless driving attorneys handle numerous cases reckless driving cases in Hanover County. Our attorneys have years of experience finding ways to get this type of charge dismissed or reduced from a crime to a minor traffic offense. Our attorneys have a high rate of success in Hanover County.
- Speeding: Our law firm is also able to provide you with quality and result-oriented legal representation on Hanover County speeding ticket cases. Although speeding tickets are not as serious as reckless driving charges, they can still cause significant problems to your driving record and auto insurance rates. Our speeding ticket attorneys can often get speeding charges dismissed in Hanover County.
- Possession of Marijuana: The penalties for this offense are high. Our marijuana lawyers have practiced criminal defense law for over two decades and have helped many Virginians accused of marijuana-related offenses.
Call 804-355-8037 to speak to one of our experienced attorneys.
Experienced Traffic Attorneys in Hanover County
Selecting the right Hanover County traffic attorney is important. Knowing the tendencies and policies of the Hanover County judges (General District and Circuit Court), police officers, deputies, and state troopers is very important. Hanover County has one General District Court Judge who hears DUI, reckless driving, speeding, and other traffic and misdemeanor criminal cases. Traffic and criminal cases are heard in Hanover County General District Court Tuesdays through Fridays. Thursdays are reserved for all traffic and criminal cases involving state troopers. In addition, unlike many other jurisdictions, the prosecutor’s office in Hanover County does not participate in traffic cases such as reckless driving, speeding, failure to obey traffic signs, and driving on a suspended or revoked license in General District Court.
Sometimes the General District Court’s decision in a DUI, reckless driving, speeding, and other traffic offenses needs to be appealed. Under Virginia laws, a person convicted of a traffic offense or a misdemeanor criminal offense in General District Court has ten days from the date the judge enters the conviction to note an appeal. Once the appeal is noted, the case is then set on a new date in the Hanover County Circuit Court with a different judge. Unlike in General District Court, the prosecutor’s office in Hanover County does participate in traffic and misdemeanor criminal cases appealed to Circuit Court. This is significant because it provides the attorneys at Weiland Upton an opportunity to negotiate a more favorable result.
The attorneys at Weiland Upton work tirelessly to use their legal knowledge to achieve the best possible result for our clients in Hanover, VA. Call 804-355-8037 to speak to one of our attorneys today.
Featured Client Review
I received a reckless driving ticket in March of this year, doing 88 in 70mph zone on I295 in Hanover County.
I’m from Canada and to my surprise, instead of getting a regular, albeit pricey ticket, it was RD charge and I had to show up in court, this was misdemeanor charge too! Needles to say I wasn’t impressed and have been quite worried about implications, and having to show up for court thus spending hundreds of dollars on plane ticket alone.
Found Mr. Weiland and from day one him and his office were extremely professional and quick to respond to any questions.
Mr. Weiland under-promised and over-delivered. He was able to have my Reckless Driving charge dismissed with me only having to pay court costs and finish an online driving course. I’d say those are superb results for someone who was speeding 18 over limit and also has a year old speeding ticket in his record. In fact, it’s magic!
The services they provide are exceptional and once it’s all done you feel huge sense of “money well spent” because Mr. Weiland and his team are A+ firm.
I wish him all the best and am thankful I found him!